Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Pilgrimage







There are two types of pilgrimage: physical and mental. Physical: we visit the sacred/holy sites. Mental: we use the holy sites to reflect on our inner self.

There are holy sites all over the world. If we are Buddhist, we visit India, Myanmar, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, China, Thailand, Lao, Cambodia, Vietnam, Japan, Korea and etc…. Each country has its own holy sites. When we visit these sites we should respect the local’s history and their belief. We should not have hatred towards a particular site. Pilgrimage is for both physical and mental. If the site offends us then we just simply walk away. You may not like it but others may find it fascinating. 
There is no need to make a big fuss and criticise it. This only shows our ego and we cannot tolerate others. When I am in a church or other temple, I respect their God(s). I respect their rituals and I respect their followers. Even the site offends us, we still can learn much from it if we use a calm and serene mind to look at things. Every site is pure-land.

In 2007 India pilgrimage trip I visited a Hindu cave temple, a monk asked me to touch the Lingam stone. I didn’t know what it is. Everyone walked in the temple will touch this stone, so I did. The monk saw and laughed. I looked closely to the stone and realise it is a male sex organ. It was disgusting! I watched all the people around me and felt pity for them. I know why we are in this samsara because we dwell in the craving of sex. I didn’t swear at that monk who took me to this cave temple. I didn’t even shown any sight of unhappiness, but from now on I have to be careful not to touch anything that people ask me to.

Site Pilgrimage
All holy sites
I respect, I admire, I accept
No prejudge, no hatred, no expectation
Use a serene mind to see
There is no good or bad, no right or wrong
Happy to accept each site


Inner Pilgrimage
Each step I follow
Buddhas, Bodhisattvas and the respectful Sanghas
As my models to follow
Their loving kindness and compassion, wisdom, joy, no attachment
Their vows for sentient beings
I can only reflect
Lessen my greed, hatred, ignorance and ego
Live in the joy of Chan.

No comments:

Post a Comment