Tuesday, September 23, 2014

My troubles



On the trip to Sri Lanka, one of the group members knew palmistry. She read my palms and said: “Poor you! You have a lot of sickness showing on your palm. But you have an easy life.” I totally agree with what she said. Since I was born I had Alpha Thalassemia. I have Tuberculosis. I had my bowel cancer 3 years ago. I have lots of cysts in my body. I broke my collar bones when I was six and now it is still aching. These are my physical sickness. My other sicknesses are my mental sickness. I have loads of negative feelings such as anger, greed, hatred, jealousy, ego, envy and so forth. I have to admit I am a person full of diseases.

She also said: “Your life is very short. You need to practise hard on Buddhism to be able to have a longer life.” I laughed out loud. AC over heard her comment and said: “I would like to swap my life with you. My palms show I have long life.” I said: “No way! Your life is yours and my life is mine. I don’t mind dying young. What am I going to do with such a long life?” My sickness is mine and I wouldn’t want anyone to have it.

On 2nd of September, we went to see a cultural show at Kandy. On the way back to our hotel, Viji our tour guide pointed to the lake and said: “Sri Lankan believes if you throw food over your head to feed the fishes in this lake, then all your troubles will eaten away by these fishes.” Thus our other tour guide Bao Hong bought popcorns. The group happily threw the popcorn over their head and wished all their troubles to go away. There was one bag left and Bao Hong offered it to me. I was reluctant but she insisted. Hence I stood on the bridge and made a wish. I wished all the fishes will be liberated from this samsara. I then threw all the popcorn over my head. Accidentally they landed on AC’s head. AC cried out and I laughed. It was the funniest thing I’ve never seen. I told him he is now having all my troubles. What a beautiful Sri Lankan tale! I wish someone can take my troubles away. But on second thought without all these negativity, how do I know life is impermanent? How would I know life is within our breath? No way will I give my best friends away to someone or anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment