Saturday, March 26, 2011

Pebbles


I like to collect pebbles. Whenever I visit beaches, hills or creeks I like to collect pebbles from each place. I remembered years ago we went to Arkaroola. I was bush walked with my children. On the way back to our campsite, I spotted a fist size of pebble lying in the middle of the road. I picked it up and it had great feeling. It was so smooth and I knew it’s not just a normal pebble. I think it’s some short of gemstone. I named it heart-of-desert. I like to beach walking so I can watch the waves come and go. I like to pick up seashells and pebbles along the shore. I also like to walk along creeks. Listen to the running water brings me peace and tranquility. 

There was once we went to Deep Creek National Park, we did 7 km bush walk for one morning. When we reached a small bay I found a more than 2kg of pebble. I put it on my backpack. On the way back, my hubby saw me struggle with my backpack. He said he would carry it for me. When he picked it up and said what a hell was in my backpack. I asked him not to open and carry back to the campsite. He was swearing all the way back.

There was once we went to Flinders Ranges with my sister and her daughter. We picked up a bag full of the peacock stones and some crystals from varies gorges. My hubby told us off and ordered us to put them back. We put back half of it and hid the rest under our seats. He said we were thieves. 

On the way to Uluru, we passed Coober Pedy. We stayed there for a night. Coober Pedy is the best place to pick up Opals. We picked up Opals on the main street and even in our Campsite free of charge. Pity I couldn’t pick up any pebbles from Uluru otherwise I would. There are warnings not to pick up anything at the Uluru National Park. I couldn’t go home empty handed. Instead of free pebbles, I bought some from the souvenir shop.

Recently on Adelaide Cup day my hubby dragged me to a place with him. I was not 100% pleased but because of my duty I went with him. When we finished our job, in my surprise I spotted a beautiful pebble on the footpath next to our car. I picked it up and had a feel for it. I was in love with it. It looks like a kidney. It even has some veins like a kidney. It is so smooth. I named it kidney stone. I said to my hubby, it is waiting for me to take it home. I was so happy. He thought I was crazy. I showed my new pet to people around and they all agreed. 

Years ago I met a monk who liked to give out thunder eggs.  His stone delivers a message: “What we are looking for is not outside of ourselves.” When he handed me the first stone, he asked me what I can tell him with the stone. I gave him several meanings that I could find. He smiled with approval. I then gave his stone to a person who was desperately needed it. I told the monk, he did not feel unhappy that I gave his stone away, instead he gave me a bagful next time he saw me. He said he was happy for me to give out his stones and deliver his message. I again gave all his stones away and of course made lots of people happy. On his last visit, he handed me a special one with his hand written “This crocodile is especially for you.” He said: “For you only and hope you will keep it.” He then gave me a boxful of stones to give to people. I wonder how many people got his message.

I like to use pebble to teach children the Glad Game. This game is from a book called Pollyanna. I give each child a wrapped present. Inside it has a pebble. I asked them what do they glad about to receive this pebble and each child needs to give me three things. I then teach them how to turn a pebble into a pet. I knew Thich Nhat Hanh teaches children to use a pebble to control their anger. When they feel angry, they touch the pebble and acknowledge it, take deep breath and let go. He also teaches children pebble meditation. Pebble tells us lot of things. Pebble tells us the impermanent, tells us the beauty of nature, tells us our Buddha nature, tells us we are one, not pebble, not us.

No comments:

Post a Comment