Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Learning



Thay said to the youth group that they all need to sit for a test to see how much that they understand  Thay’s and Co’s teachings in Buddhism. My boy said he is not going to sit for the test. I asked him why not. He said he doesn’t want to enter this kind of competition. I said: “This is not a competition. This is to test how much you understand.” He then said: “We should see our understanding on how we apply it on our daily lives, it’s not on a piece of paper.” I totally agree with him but before we can apply these theories to our lives, we first need to understand what the theories are? 


There are three parts to learning:
1.       through books, people’s talks or things that we have experienced;
2.       after reading a book, hearing someone’s talk or our experience, we analyse;
3.       after we have analysed, we think they are good and workable then we apply.


The temple can teach us the first part of learning. The monks and nuns can only teach us theories and the way on practise. The second and third parts of learning are based on us.  


Why do we need to go to school and university to learn? Why do we need to read books and attend Dharma talks? It’s because we need to build up our first part of learning. A childhood friend of mine once told me: “You don’t need to go to Dharma talk or read any of these books. You only need to recite Buddha’s name then you will reach Nirvana.” I said: “Sure, but do you know why you need to chant Buddha’s name?” She said she doesn’t need to know.  I asked her whether she has a one pointed mind when she recite Buddha’s name. She said yes, her husband can and can recite 24 hours per day. I was amazed and surprised because I can’t do it myself. I then asked has he been fighting with her lately. She used to fight with her husband. She said yes. How can one fighting verbally and has one pointed mind on recite Buddha’s name. I asked if he is now reciting Buddha name days and nights, how can he find time to fight with her? How can he find time to restrict her and his children to watch TV? How can he be so mean to his family members and yet have time to recite Buddha’s name? I asked her why she recite Buddha’s name. She said her husband asked her to do so. I asked her does she feel at peace when she recites Buddha’s name? She told me there is miracle for recite Buddha’s name. I asked in what way. She said now a day she can get what she wants. She told me by reciting Buddha’s name, if you want chicken drumsticks, you get chicken drumsticks. For example she wants to get a cheap roast chicken in Coles then she went to Coles and there were roast chicken on special. What can I say to her? How can I make her understand that by reciting Buddha’s name will not make a miracle happen? How can I tell her that recite Buddha’s name is a form of meditation that can transform our troubled mind into a peaceful mind? How can I make her understand reciting Buddha’s name is not to ask for something? This is a lack of the first and second parts of the learning process.  We skipped and jumped to practise without understanding the reason why we doing it. All these superstitious and beliefs in miracles come into our daily practise just like that. How sad! No wonder Buddhism has become a religion instead of a way of life.


Here is my reflection on learning the cause of suffering – Greed, hatred and ignorance. Last night my daughter presented me a coupon for car hire – hire 3 days and get the 4th day free from Budget. I have already hired a car for $230 because of my greed that the coupon tells me to get the fourth day free. I cancelled my original booking and used her coupon.  Guess what? I wanted to kill myself. It is $38 more than my original booking. I then went back to Qantas hoping to get the same deal but no, the cheapest deal I could get was $18 more than my original deal. My deal was gone. I hated myself so much why on earth I am that greedy. I had a great laugh with my daughter that my greediness drove me insane.  She asked: “Mum, are you mad at me?” I said why? It is my own fault that my greed drives my action. This is not her fault at all. I have the right not to listen but the ‘4th day free car hire’ filled up my mind. I couldn’t see other things than the  ‘4th day free car-hire’. I told her I planted the bitter seed that I will eat up my own stupid fruit and learn from this. This is all about learning. Learn the theories, analyse and apply. Do I really suffer for paying $18 more for my car-hire? You can say this stupid woman. I reckon this lesson is worth it. $18 for a lesson of greed. Cheap!  wahaha with tears. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment