Friday, May 29, 2020

How can we live our life to the fullest?



This morning my husband and I did the usual walk. We walked to the park. I asked him how can we live our lives to the fullest?

He answered: “We don’t need a lot of money to live fully. We need to have enough money for our health, daily needs and money to feed our hobbies.”

I asked him what is enough?!

He then asked me how do you live your life to the fullest?

I told him there is a zen monk Thich Vien Minh who says: always know how to be present, mindful, pay close attention and observe everything clearly, then we will be able to live fully here and now.” (HT Thich Vien Minh - luôn biết thận trọng, chú tâm và quan sát rõ ràng mọi sự mọi vật thì vẫn có thể sống trọn vẹn với pháp hiện tại)

To be able to live in this hectic world we need to be able to multitask. At work and at home this skill is essential, is it not?

Lately a nun called and asked me do I still listen to the 110 mp3 on Abhidharma. I told the nun no, I couldn’t understand and couldn’t hear very well from the mp3. She said, “What a pity! Can you please give it a try again?” I told myself I have to give it another go as she was so enthusiastic.

Well I didn’t tell her I was baking a cake while I vacuumed and listened to the Dhamma talk. I laughed to myself. How could I understand and could hear the mp3 while I vacuumed? So as promised, instead of my normal meditation at 4:30am, I sat and listened to the mp3 in the dark. One mp3 each morning, closed my eyes and paid total attention to the sound. My mind had no inner dialogue, I knew I was listening. It was clear and easy to understand. Every morning during that hour I was present, paid close attention and observed clearly on the sound. I found Abhidharma acceptable. I have no language barrier. At least I knew what it was about. When I looked at the diagram of Abhidharma I knew they are not only colours and numbers.


So how can I live my life to the fullest? I told my hubby just be aware and observe what I do here and now and less multitasking!

No comments:

Post a Comment