Sunday, September 10, 2017

Gemstone




I recently bought a stone on eBay. I showed it to my girl. She just glimpsed it and ignored. I asked her about my stone. She said she wouldn't keep it even it is for free. I wonder how many people will recognise this stone other then the gemologists.

Do you know this is a brown star sapphire? It cannot be recognised easily because it is covered with dirt. Once it gets cut and polished, it will show its beauty and asterism under specific lighting.

Do you know we have a gemstone within us? We cannot recognise it because it gets covered with all sorts of thoughts. Thoughts belong to the past, future and present. We often do not give one second to ourselves to look at our gemstone within. We are too busy, too busy to think what are we going to have for dinner, too busy to think what we are going to do next, too busy for our work, too busy to be too busy. In the morning we are too busy to work. We don’t even give ourselves a good look in the mirror to look for our imperfections. We never slow down to see our gemstone within.


There was once a Buddhist monk who gave me a Geo stone. He asked me to tell him what message the stone gave. I examined it and opened it. I saw glittering crystals. I said "Don't judge people from outside". He said: "Yes, but that is one very important message." I said: "Our beauty is from within." He asked: "Yes, what beauty?" I said our kindness, compassion, love. He said one day I will truly understand.

Years passed and today I now know what our gemstone is called in Buddhist terms - our Buddha nature. This gemstone appeared in most of the Buddhist texts. How do we realise our Buddha nature? We need to give ourselves a little bit of time each day to relax our mind by letting go of our thoughts. There are techniques to train our mind to become quiet. We can only meet our Buddha nature with a calm and silent mind. According Buddhist texts this gemstone within us has ultimate wisdom - infinite light, infinite life.

No comments:

Post a Comment