Sunday, September 10, 2017

A lesson from Ayya


My friend Chi, Nun Nibbida and I went to offer dana to Ayya Santacārī on 26/08/2017. Ayya talked about the future Buddhist youth weekend school and other stuff. One teaching that stuck in my mind was when Ayya gave a talk to a 16 year old boy. She said: “Before we do meditation we examine how much compassion is in our minds? How much calmness is in our minds? How much kindness is in our minds? How much anger is in our minds? How much agitation is in our minds? How much happiness is in our minds? After a good meditation we will examine again to see how much compassion is in our minds. How much calmness is in our minds? How much kindness is in our minds? How much anger is in our minds? How much agitation is in our minds? How much happiness is in our mind?

To me this should not only apply in a meditation session. We should apply this into our daily activities such as before we talk we should examine our stage of mind and after we talk we should examine again our stage of mind. By doing so we will then be able to clearly see the motives of our talk. For example when I say someone is not right. I examine what is the purpose of this when I say someone is not right? Is this because of my jealousy? Is this because I don’t like this person? Do I want to hurt this person? Is this the situation true? Even if the situation is true do I have to confront this person? How much kindness in my mind? How much happiness in my mind? After I have said it I should again examine what stage of my mind is in.

This is a very important lesson that I have learnt from Ayya. It is a very simple but effective way to examine the activities in our mind. With time and practice of knowing our minds we will be able to become masters of our minds instead of slaves to it

No comments:

Post a Comment