Thursday, July 21, 2016

How I see - practicing KN in our daily life



After attending BN1 course, Ni Su taught us the 'Don't talk' technique. I have used it daily. Whenever I hear something that I don't like to hear, I say to myself 'Don't talk'; whenever I see something that I don't like to see, I say to myself 'Don't talk'; whenever I feel something that I don't like (such as something itchy, numbing, painful) to feel, I say to myself 'Don't talk'. This 'Don't talk' has two meanings - firstly do not have self-dialogue in our mind and secondly do not react to the outside world. 

Since a young age we have always been taught to react. Our habit is to react. We react to the things that we like by craving. We react to the things that we dislike by aversion. Craving and aversion is the root of suffering. We want things that we cannot attain. This brings us endless suffering. 

For example someone wants to become famous. Through his life he is discontent and whines about his current living status. He will never be happy. My daughter says happiness is not measured by success, fame or fortune but contentment in one’s life at that present moment.


By practising KN we don’t have craving or aversion. We are just a silent observer with full cognitive awareness. In this way we save ourselves a lot of trouble (hatred, revenge, jealousy and conflict). We are not being coward. This is to give ourselves a breathing space to understand the situation objectively. This will help us live in harmony with ourselves and others. This will keep peace among ourselves and the world around us. This will help us to stand above all situations and have a greater and wider perspective.

Last Sunday 17/7/2016 during the Fundamental Meditation course the instructor asked us by practising this will we become a log of wood? (does this mean to have no feeling?). This is not the case at all we do have feelings and much more sensitive than before but we just do not react to them. We see them as they are (yathabhutha) not as what we want them to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment