Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Our life is as short as a breath


Our life is as short as a breath


Recently I saw an old woman at the temple pass into unconsciousness in a split second. She looked as normal as could be then suddenly she became unconscious. An ambulance was called and people were all around her. It was scary to watch. I suppose this is what we call impermanence.

My mother was all good until Thursday 20/07/2012 when she had a heart attack. My father told me if that is the end of her that I didn’t need to feel sad because soon or later they have to leave us. My mother was holding my hand at her hospital bed said: “Don’t feel sad if I am going. I have live up to this ripe age and be happy for what is coming.” I totally understand impermanence but was still sad at the thought of her departing.

 Yes, the impermanence is the law of permanence. Things are changing every a split of a second.  Our body and mind never stop changing. We shouldn’t grasp our past. Our past has long gone. Yesterday is no longer belongs to us. It is history. We also shouldn’t grasp onto our future as it has not yet to come. We should live fully, wholeheartedly in our present moment but we should not grasp because it keeps changing. Each moment is a precious moment in our lives. Our lives are as short as a breath therefore we should live fully and wholeheartedly. For when we get lost in thoughts of the past or future, life passes us by.

Past, Present and Future Dim Sum
(Note: Dim Sum is some kind of Chinese refreshment. Sum means mind in Chinese.)

Not sure if you have heard about this zen story, it is about an old woman who was a dim sum seller. One day Deshan Xuanjian (a zen master) came to buy dim sum from this old woman. The old woman asked him what he was carrying. He said: “Diamond sutra commentary!” the old woman said: “Diamond sutra said the past, present and future mind can’t be grasped. What Sum do you want to have for your refreshment?” Deshan Xuanjian couldn’t answer the old woman. The old woman said: “I am sorry. Please go somewhere else to buy your Dim Sum.”

Later Deshan Xuanjian went to study under Longtan Chongxin and enlightened eventually. The old lady’s Zen dim sum had inspired his enlightenment.

No comments:

Post a Comment