Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Art of Doing Nothing




During our daily life, we often rush into things. As we get older, the day gets shorter. Why? This is because we have lots of things to do and plan. It seems as though we are constantly in a hurry.

People asked me on my last day of work: “What are you going to do when you retire in such young age?”  There was no trace of any hesitation, nor was there a whiff of concerns in answering this question. I explained I am not young. I want to take a moment to appreciate life-the citrus smell of the gum leaves to the organic shapes of the pebbles by the creek. I want to watch a spider spin its web and gaze into the endless sky.  I want to enjoy yawning like my father does and sneeze like ‘Sneezy*’ at work.

People asked me, “won’t you feel bored for doing nothing?” I said I have plenty of things to do. I will watch my garden plants grow; I will count the morning dews if any on my fig tree and watch the sky to see the clouds pass by. We can learn lots of things from the sky. I will meditate when my family members are busy working. I will walk my old mum up and down the street to strength her leg muscles.
  
I need to take my time to experience all these again, as we grow older we tend to forget. Doing nothing used to be a dream and now I have all my time for doing it. Doing nothing is not hard to do, I think I can do it and do it well.

*Sneezy- one of my work colleague who sneezes obnoxiously.

No comments:

Post a Comment