Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Pandora Bodhicitta


One and a half years ago, I got into this Pandora charms. My friend told me he bought a charm for his daughter every birthday since birth so he can give her a whole bracelet with charms when she turns 18th birthday. I liked the idea but I didn’t have any action until one day in November 2009. My daughter alerted me an advertisement on Pandora charms. I asked her whether she wants one. She said yes. So my Pandora saga started.

I went on internet to look for them and studied them. I bought her a bracelet with 19 charms within 2 months. I showed it to my colleagues. My colleague Martin said I am insane that I spent that much of money in one bracelet.  I showed it to my sister and she said she wanted one. My inner self told me I want one too. I found so many excuses to pamper myself. I kept telling myself if I don’t love myself who will. Here I was again going onto the internet to search for “MY” own Pandora charms. I had lost myself completely for the beauty of this Pandora Mara. It was in my mind while I was driving; eating and sleeping. It had my total attention. I think my eyes could only see Pandora charms and nothing else.

Tuesday 30th of March 2010, that day my mother fell over and I was nursing her at her home. I stayed at her house that night. She was asleep and I had nothing to do. I spotted a little booklet at her altar. It is the Diamond Sutra. I started to read it out loud and could see my Pandora saga right in front of my eyes. Where was my equanimity? I was trying to grasp onto something that I think it was important in my life. Something could give me a momentary happiness that satisfied my own ego. I thought I was enlightened from the Diamond Sutra but not quite. I was still so obsess with these tiny little charms.

Until 30th of April 2011 before mother’s day, my sister came and wanted to get more charms. I looked into my Pandora jewelery box and found no room to put any more charm. I was shock that I have spent that much of money to collect these charms. I reflect back the past 16 months that I was into this madness. I could see there is nothing wrong with Pandora charms. It is something wrong with me that I let myself into this Pandora saga.

Jeweleries and other worldly things such as fame and money have no definition of good or bad. It is we who prioritize them as important in our live. When we step back and look around, we realize we have chasing something like a noon in water. Before I couldn’t understand why some temples have a sign – turn around is shore (回头是岸) and now I understood. 

We often see jeweleries hang on the Bodhisattvas’ pictures. The Bodhisattvas are not attached to them. These jeweleries are as pure as lotus buds hanging on their bodies. I could see Pandora charms are as pure as lotus buds. It’s just me who attached to them to create this madness. Once again I discovered how crazy I was and had a great laugh. I still wear them though but have lost the sense of obsession from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment